Cosmetic dentistry is the branch of dental science aimed at improving the appearance of the teeth, gums, or smile. The ultimate goal is to bring about a positive change for the patient both in terms of their outward appearance and their overall quality of life. An improved smile can give you a confidence boost, help correct difficulties in everyday activities, and just make you feel a bit better about yourself and how you look.
Cosmetic dentistry can correct a variety of problems with the teeth and gums, making use of a wide range of techniques and procedures in order to do so. Some of the more common problems addressed by cosmetic dentists include the following:
- Correcting gaps between teeth
- Repairing or reshaping misshapen or malformed teeth, eg teeth that are too long or too short
- Repairing chipped or broken teeth
- Improving the appearance of discolored or stained teeth
- Correcting issues with gum pigmentation
- Straightening crooked or misplaced teeth
- Correcting malformations of the jaw or gums
- Replacing missing or lost teeth
Most of these procedures are totally routine, with minimal discomfort or stress to the patient. Many can be accomplished in only one or two visits to the dentist’s office. While surgery is sometimes required in cosmetic dentistry, most issues don’t require a surgical approach. Cosmetic dentistry is in the main a safe and painless way to deal with issues regarding the appearance of the teeth, gums, or smile. While your dentist can tell you more about your individual needs, generally speaking, there’s nothing to worry about.
So how does cosmetic dentistry correct these problems? Well, cosmetic dentistry is growing in popularity, and as a result, new advances in techniques and procedures appear every year. Cosmetic dentistry is perhaps the most rapidly advancing branch of dental science, and at Queen City Dental Arts we work hard to stay informed as to the best and most recent procedures and technologies available. However, within all that change and rapid progress, some cosmetic dental procedures endure as effective and reliable solutions to common cosmetic dental problems. With that in mind, here are some of the more common cosmetic dental procedures your dentist may suggest for you:
- Bonding – A procedure in which tooth-colored material is used to close gaps or change tooth color.
- Veneers – A procedure in which a thin coating is placed over the front of a tooth. Veneers can change the color or shape of your teeth. For example, veneers have been used to correct unevenly spaced, crooked, chipped, oddly shaped or discolored teeth.
- Whitening and bleaching – As the term implies, whitening and bleaching, are used to make teeth whiter or remove discoloration or staining from teeth.
- Inlays and onlays are a bit like veneers or fillings, in that they cover and replace a section of a damaged or misshapen tooth. A form of indirect restoration, inlays, and onlays are most often used when the portion of the tooth to be replaced is too large for a simple filling.
- Dentures and Bridges are commonly used to replace lost or missing teeth. These artificial teeth are anchored in the mouth either with an adhesive or by attaching them to existing natural teeth.
- Dental implants are another means of replacing a lost or missing tooth, in this case via an artificial tooth surgically implanted into the jawbone. Once in place, dental implants function just like natural teeth.
Which techniques could be used to improve your smile? At Queen City Dental Arts, we’re committed to being the best Charlotte, NC cosmetic dentist. We offer free cosmetic consultations to discuss your options. Please contact us today to schedule your appointment